Tuesday, April 19, 2011

9 Times Marathon Winner Dies Grete Waitz Dead At 57


Grete Waitz, Nine-Time Norwegian Winner of New York Marathon, Dies at 57 She Was , the record nine-time winner of the New York City Marathon, died after a six-year struggle with cancer. She was jst 57 .
I was hurting. I was mad. I was angry. I told Jack: 'Never again!" she recalled in 2008, 30 years later.
The lean Norwegian middle-distance runner, who had set two world-records in the 3,000 meters, was invited to the race as a "rabbit," someone brought in to set a fast early pace for the favorite runners.Grete is in my eyes one of the greatest Norwegian athletes of all time," Norwegian Athletics Federation president Svein Arne Hansen said. "Not only through her performances in the sport, but also as a role model for women in sports."In a Twitter posting, marathon world record-holder Paula Radcliffe remembered Waitz as "an amazing champion and more amazing person."